Thursday, March 5, 2015

Booktrope Announcement, Zombie Bigfoot


If you’re a follower of this blog then I assume you’re also following me on Facebook and Twitter. That means you probably already know that a few of my novels have been accepted by, and are going to be re-released, by Booktrope. This is a HUGE FUCKING DEAL for a couple of reasons. 1. It means that my books will get new life with an incredible publisher that’s going to put time and energy into marketing me and my books. 2. I get to reap the benefits of being with a publisher that has dozens of best sellers. Besides sharing in the success of their writers I also get the benefits of the wisdom associated with the team that put out many of these books. 3. I get a much larger publisher behind me to push and guide me in my career.

The first book they’re going to release is Witches House. It’s going to get a new cover, a fresh edit, and turn into the book that it always should have been. From there I’m going to re-write the Chronicles of Rosario series, books one, two, and three. Then I’ll finish book four. Then it’s on to a brand new book, some of my erotica, and a couple other things.

Somewhere in between all of that will be Zombie Bigfoot. As the name suggests, there is an undead Bigfoot rampaging through the story. I’ll post the synopsis when the book is closer to the publication phase. Right now though, I want to share an excerpt from the book. Enjoy!

 

I shot and killed the squirrel, then ate its liver, heart, and kidneys before dumping the rest of the organs on the forest floor. I swung the hollowed out carcass over my shoulder and headed on. I killed two more small critters and ate the important stuff raw. I now had enough meat to carry me through the night and stave off my hunger. I was on my way back to the trailer when I saw a nice fat rabbit eating clover in the shade of a boulder. I took careful aim and let my arrow fly. The rabbit twitched once and lay dead, a mouthful of bloody clover falling from between the blunt front teeth. I was in terrific shape and excited about cooking it all.

Then my blood turned to ice as a hellacious scream filled the late afternoon with horror.

It wasn’t Bigfoot, at least the scream hadn’t come from him. It was a woman, of that I was positive. Strange that I could know something so definitively when I hadn’t seen or heard one in months, and yet my brain instantly made the connection. Self-preservation made me grab the dead rabbit before sprinting off to help. I never considered myself a hero, but if there was a woman in trouble nearby then I had to at least try and help. Hell, if any living person was alive and in need of help who the hell was I to ignore it. This wasn’t an act of chivalry, it was an act of selfishness.

Had I mentioned that I was lonely as fuck?

I threw the animal carcasses into the shade before grabbing my freshly loaded shotgun and jumping into my truck. I left a plume of dust behind me as I roared away, heading towards the sound of the scream. This used to be such a nice, quiet neighborhood. I hadn’t heard or seen so much as a single living person around here since the start of the apocalypse and now…

The scream had come only once but I was nearly positive it had originated from the road out front of my complex. Maybe I was just thinking that it would make more sense for someone to be in that direction than any other. Maybe I had no idea where it had come from. Either way I was tearing ass in that direction, and I was right.

I saw Bigfoot before I saw the people he was terrifying. His zombie form was something appalling and yet beautiful. His normally shimmery coat was dull and patchy, an oil-slick-rainbow of colors over grey-green flesh. Muscles still rippled under the fur, but now they moved with a chunky, graceless movement. His face was bloated, his gut distended to the point of near rupture, and both upper and lower lips were peeled away from the skull exposing massive, brown teeth. He ignored the sound of my approaching engine, choosing instead to punch through the windshield of a truck and root around for the squealing people inside the cab.

I hit the horn a couple times. The added noise caught the monster’s attention and slowed his assault on the truck. He looked up at me with expressionless eyes as drool and blood flowed from his mouth. I steered right for him but knew there was no way I could hit him and expect to drive away. He was just too damn big. Instead I sped past him, just missing a massive swing from his clawed hand. I could see a couple of terrified faces looking out the cracked glass. I wanted to save them but didn’t know if I’d be able too.

 

1 comment: